The approach I use on Postern came about by chance. I was playing and my opponents did something they had never done before and I won with a time of 1:33.2. That was 10 seconds faster than my previous best time.
As I’m watching the video and writing a walk-through, I can tell that there are places where I could have made different decisions and that I should have been able to get a much better time. So before I publish the walk-through I decide to try out the insights I had gained from watching the video. That led to me taking about 30 seconds off of that time.
- From 0:00 to 0:08, your goal here is to get both orange and green to send their units into their wormhole. Start out by doubling up your planet, then after a couple of seconds start attacking the singleton that green is likely to attack. As soon as green sends its units into the wormhole start attacking the singleton that orange is likely to attack. In this case orange had already went into the wormhole so that part wasn’t needed, but sometimes it can be useful in getting the desired outcome.
- From 0:09 to 0:28, your goal now is to get orange to use its units in the wormhole to capture the green side singleton. For that to happen you need to capture the other two planets that orange has access to.
- From 0:29 to 0:34, build up some units on the singleton you just captured, then use those units to attack the singleton adjacent to the orange double. The purpose of this is to get orange to give up on capturing that planet and instead send reinforcements into the wormhole, where they’ll be used to capture the singleton next to green.
- From 0:35 to 0:39, as soon as orange sends the reinforcements you want to start sending your units into the top wormhole in preparation for taking out the orange double planet.
- From 0:40 to 0:48, as soon as orange attempts to capture the singleton, use your units in the wormhole to destroy and capture the double planet.
- From 0:49 to 0:52, here you want to attack the unoccupied double planet. In the initial video (below, after the jump), I noticed that it was the attack on this planet that triggered green to attack orange.
- From 0:53 to 1:03, as soon as green starts attacking orange, start sending your units into the bottom wormhole. Then, just when it looks like green has sent enough units to destroy orange, take out the green double.
As I mentioned in the introduction, the genesis for this approach came about by seeing how I didn’t take full advantage of the opportunity my opponents had given me previously. That previous video and walk-through are after the jump.